The ROICE team, represented by Dr. Cristina Purcărea, Dr. Iris Tuşa and PhD. Corina Iţcuş, participated at the POLAR2018 event, on June 15-26, 2018, in Davos, Switzerland.
POLAR2018 brings together the world’s leading experts and decision makers working in the Arctic and Antarctic research field. For the first time since the International Polar Year 2007-2008, the organizations leading in both Arctic and Antarctic research will convene in one place.
Within POLAR2018 took place the XXXV Biennial Meeting SCAR and SCAR / IASC – Open Science Conference – “Where the Poles come together”.
At this important event for the world of Arctic and Antarctic Researchers, POLAR2018 – XXXV SCAR and SCAR / IASC Open Science Conference, Romania was actively represented by the delegation formed of the members of the ROICE team, namely:
- Dr. Cristina Purcărea – lieder of the ROICE Antarctic expeditions (INCDSB – IBB)
- Dr. Iris Maria Tușa – member of the ROICE Antarctic expeditions (INCDSB)
- PhD. Corina Ițcuș – member of the ROICE Antarctic expeditions (INCDSB)
Dr. Cristina Purcărea sustained an oral presentation with the title ”Ice Microbiome: From Antarctic Glaciers to Alpine Ice Caves”. Authors: Cristina Purcarea, Corina Itcus, Constantin Marin, Soon Gyu Hong, Victoria I. Paun, Aurel Persoiu, Paris Lavin, Traian Brad, Alexandra Hillebrand-Voiculescu, Denisa Pascu, Cristian Coman, Iris Tusa, Manuela E. Sidoroff.
Two posters were also presented by the members of the ROICE delegation:
- ”Effects of the environmental conditions from Antarctica on the human RBCs viability”. Authors: Iris Tușa, Corina Ițcuș, Daniela Bratosin.
- ”Bacterial Community Structure in Glacier Ice and Subglacial Streams, Antarctica”. Prezentare: drd. Corina Ițcuș. Autori Corina Itcus, Constantin Marin, Soon Gyu Hong, Paris Lavin, Cristian Coman, Iris Tusa, Manuela E. Sidoroff, Cristina Purcarea.
- In 2018 the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) marks six decades of successful international collaboration.
- Romania submitted to SCAR a scientific material “Celebrating 60 years of scientific discovery in Antarctica”, which is published at (https://www.scar.org/scar-library/other-publications/60-years/4976-scar-at-60-press-ro).
Important dates of the event:
- The calendar of the events was:
- June 15 – 18, 2018 – SCAR and IASC/ASSW Business & Satellite Meetings
- June 19 – 23, 2018 – SCAR/IASC Open Science Conference & Open COMNAP Session
- June 24 – 26, 2018 – SCAR Delegates Meeting & 2018 Arctic Observing Summit