The ROICE team, represented by Dr. Cristina Purcărea, Dr. Iris Tuşa and PhD. Corina Iţcuş, participated at the POLAR2018 event, on June 15-26, 2018, in Davos, Switzerland.
This was a joint event of the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research – XXXV SCAR Bienal Meeting (www.scar.org) and the International Arctic Science Committee (ISAC) (www.isac.info).
POLAR2018 brings together the world’s leading experts and decision makers working in the Arctic and Antarctic research field. For the first time since the International Polar Year 2007-2008, the organizations leading in both Arctic and Antarctic research will convene in one place.
Within POLAR2018 took place the XXXV Biennial Meeting SCAR and SCAR / IASC – Open Science Conference – “Where the Poles come together”.
At this important event for the world of Arctic and Antarctic Researchers, POLAR2018 – XXXV SCAR and SCAR / IASC Open Science Conference, Romania was actively represented by the delegation formed of the members of the ROICE team, namely:
- Dr. Cristina Purcărea – lieder of the ROICE Antarctic expeditions (INCDSB – IBB)
- Dr. Iris Maria Tușa – member of the ROICE Antarctic expeditions (INCDSB)
- PhD. Corina Ițcuș – member of the ROICE Antarctic expeditions (INCDSB)
Dr. Cristina Purcărea sustained an oral presentation with the title ”Ice Microbiome: From Antarctic Glaciers to Alpine Ice Caves”. Authors: Cristina Purcarea, Corina Itcus, Constantin Marin, Soon Gyu Hong, Victoria I. Paun, Aurel Persoiu, Paris Lavin, Traian Brad, Alexandra Hillebrand-Voiculescu, Denisa Pascu, Cristian Coman, Iris Tusa, Manuela E. Sidoroff.
Two posters were also presented by the members of the ROICE delegation:
- ”Effects of the environmental conditions from Antarctica on the human RBCs viability”. Authors: Iris Tușa, Corina Ițcuș, Daniela Bratosin.
- ”Bacterial Community Structure in Glacier Ice and Subglacial Streams, Antarctica”. Prezentare: drd. Corina Ițcuș. Autori Corina Itcus, Constantin Marin, Soon Gyu Hong, Paris Lavin, Cristian Coman, Iris Tusa, Manuela E. Sidoroff, Cristina Purcarea.
- In 2018 the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) marks six decades of successful international collaboration.
- Romania submitted to SCAR a scientific material “Celebrating 60 years of scientific discovery in Antarctica”, which is published at (https://www.scar.org/scar-library/other-publications/60-years/4976-scar-at-60-press-ro).
Important dates of the event:
- The calendar of the events was:
- June 15 – 18, 2018 – SCAR and IASC/ASSW Business & Satellite Meetings
- June 19 – 23, 2018 – SCAR/IASC Open Science Conference & Open COMNAP Session
- June 24 – 26, 2018 – SCAR Delegates Meeting & 2018 Arctic Observing Summit